New Dynamic YouTube Gallery - Embed YouTube Playlist, Channel, Live Stream in minutes. Read More

Direct URL - General upload - Evolution

• Lionel Charrier
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Direct URL - General upload - Evolution was created by Lionel Charrier

Hi.

I have used Direct URL with an absolute path and it is working. The solution is however not user friendly, and when you use either Direct URL or General Upload it is rather confusing.

As a matter of fact, the directory in which General Upload loads the video is not user defined and even not in a easy to find place. In is not in images, it is not at the site root, it is inside media, inside a directory dedicated to the component where you find directories created for each category name.

Would it be possible to assign a user defines directory to each category in such a way that video loaded by the General Upload or by FTP followed by Direct URL would be located ?
Then if would also be much easier that the video used with direct ling be selected in a pop-up windows that would open the directory associated with the selected category?

This is far the major draw back of this excellent component.

Kind Regards
9 years 3 months ago #7461

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1451

Replied by Administrator on topic Re: Direct URL - General upload - Evolution

I'm not sure why it's confusing for you.

I think you've mis-understood our DIRECT URL option. It's designed to provide option for the users to add VIDEO URLs from external servers or VIDEOS from some other directories in the same server. It has no restriction and you can upload your video to any directory.

Also, if the VIDEO is too large (* GBs) and if they can't be uploaded through the BROWSE button due to some server restrictions, the user can upload his VIDEO directly to the server(any folder) using FTP and just add the UPLOADED FILE PATH in our DIRECT URL field. Actually, I felt this is flexible for all cases. Kindly let me know if still you have any suggestions on this and I am to happy to do the possibilities.

Note : The idea to allow users to define the UPLOAD directory is good and I have added this to our SUGGESTIONS box.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Administrator.
9 years 3 months ago #7463

• Lionel Charrier
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Lionel Charrier on topic Re: Direct URL - General upload - Evolution

Thank you for this rapid response.

I appreciate the Direct URL is for either external servers, external links but also to link to video uploaded by FTP to overcome the limitations of PHP. That's clear to me.

I appreciate as well the fact that I am free to decide in which directory I can upload the videos.

This gives me the possibility to load the video in a directory that is visible with the media manager of Joomla or with the tools of JCE editor.

However, I cannot tell the system to use the same directory for those videos, smaller of course, that I have uploaded using the general upload. Today I can choose the directory for one method and cannot use the same for another method.

However, that would be very nice when you the user will be able to tell the system in which directory the video should go on a per category basis, be general upload or FTP upload with its Direct Link. Then we could just select the upload video in a pop-up windows or type the direct URL if the video is on an external server.

Therefore, it will no longer by necessary to type an absolute URL for those videos that have been uploaded on the site serveur. This will give another benefit: If I move or duplicate the site on another server, to check proper operation of the back-up for exemple, I will not be trapped with absolute links.

I am using other components that are working on similar principle such as DocMan.

Kind Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Administrator
9 years 3 months ago #7467

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

We accept cookies to provide you the best viewing experience. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies